Environmental policy of the Matterhorn Group AG 2019
“Air” Environmental charter
A clean environment forms the basis of all offers of the Matterhorn Group AG – and this includes high air quality. With its certification under ISO 14001:2015, the Matterhorn Group AG is setting an example for active environmental and climate protection. We are committed to sustainability, preserving resources and improving quality in these areas in a systematic and continuous fashion. This applies to our hotels, restaurants, mountain huts and shops as well as with respect to our dialogue with partners, service providers and suppliers. Every year, the Matterhorn Group AG defines one factor of environmental protection as a focus area. In 2019, improving air quality will be at the heart of our endeavors.
Resources and energy
- At the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof, the old oil heating system has been replaced by pellet heating. The pellets used to generate heat are pressed wood chips that are exclusively produced from wood sourced from the forests of the Citizens’ Community of Zermatt. Thanks to the local sourcing of the wood, a renewable and natural energy source, it has been possible to reduce CO2 emissions by 10%.
- The room temperature is generally being reduced in all buildings: in the living areas to between 19°C and 21°C and in the bedrooms and adjoining rooms to between 16°C and 18°C.
- All premises are ventilated in a brief yet very efficient manner (around three to five minutes with draft).
- Where possible, the window shutters are closed at night.
- All heating systems are maintained professionally and oil heating systems are exclusively operated with low-sulphur heating oil.
- In general, efforts are made to ensure the lowest possible level of energy consumption in all areas and at all workplaces (affects: electricity, heating oil, natural gas).
Disposal / recycling
- Waste is always collected separately and sent for recycling. This applies, in particular, to waste paper, waste glass, PET, aluminium and scrap metal. Hazardous waste, such as batteries, used oil, fluorescent lamps and solvents, are disposed of professionally.
- Less waste is produced thanks to intelligent and targeted purchasing.
- All organic kitchen and garden waste is converted into electrical energy at a biogas plant in Zermatt.
- Everywhere that waste gases are produced, the used air is cleaned through by filters.
- No waste is illegally burnt in the fireplace or garden.
- All demand for Valais dried meat and homemade sausages is covered by our own cattle. The animals are kept locally on an organic farm and the meat products are produced in the vicinity. The locally produced products mean long transport routes are avoided.
- Zermatt is car-free. Wherever possible, deliveries arrive by rail instead of truck.
- We and our supply partners avoid unnecessary travel through efficient planning and intelligent order processes.
Infrastructure / Sustainable building
- Where renovations are performed, a particular focus is placed on the improved insulation of windows, doors and facades.
- Heating, combustion and process heating systems are generally modernized on an ongoing basis. Old heating systems are replaced by modern technology, as the example of the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof shows.
- Wherever possible, we are switching to environmentally friendly technology in all work and business areas.
- Low-emission materials are used at all workplaces.
- For all of our construction and modernization measures, we use solvent-free paints, varnishes, cleaning agents, adhesives, sprays and wood preservatives.